Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Viet Nam Wall Hanging

Quite a while ago I had thought about making my husband a lap throw representing his Army days, but he also served in the Air Force, and has a desire for a War Between the States lap throw as well.  It was just too many lap throws!  So I decided to make two wall hangings to represent his service time...this is the first one, just completed.  It commemorates his time in Viet Nam in 1970-71 where he served in Chu Lai as a helicopter door gunner for Nighthawk (under Blue Ghost, F Troop, 8th Cavalry).  I happened to find an authentic piece of camouflaged fabric (the real stuff!) in our things...why we had it, I have no idea.  It was perfect for this project!  I's about 3 1/2 feet by 3 3/4 feet.  I recreated some of his photos onto fabric and appliqued most of the wall hanging, adding his patches.



The right side, including the map of Viet Nam.


The left side of the wall hanging.  Cleaning his M-60.  Also shows the Blue Ghost patch.

The Nighthawk patch is below my favorite photo of him with his mini-gun.

The red arrow in the top left photo points to one of his "hooches" or places he lived during his year there.  Look at that SMILE!!!


4 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job and I know that Russell is happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my Little Marie for producing this project for me. This represents a difficult time for you as I performed my duties in this dangerous position. Thank you for the countless letters, your love and faithfulness. Knowing that you were waiting for me was the only thing that made me care to return. I left as a young man, inexperienced in the task ahead, I returned a hardened warrior forever changed. Thank you for loving me still. You paid a heavy price and I thank you for that. Love, Russell.

    ReplyDelete